About This Library
The John Rudy Little Free Library was made possible because of the Little Free Library organization's GIFT Funding. The Give It Forward Team (GIFT) Funding provides an opportunity to help fund the cost of libraries and registration for people who would like to start their own Little Free Library but are in need of assistance. Our classroom applied for GIFT funding and used our persuasive writing skills to help explain the mission of our project and need for a library.
The library itself was most likely built by inmates at a state penitentiary in Prairie du Chien, WI, where many libraries for the GIFT funding are constructed. It was specially designed by Little Free Library's Artistic Director, Elizabeth Kennedy, then carefully packaged and mailed to our classroom at North Hills Elementary.
Afterward, it was filled with books and love and brought to John Rudy County Park to be shared with the community and the world.
Everyone who was a part of this process has put so much time and passion into this little box with the hopes of adding to our community and sharing the love of reading with others. We hope you will help us to use and maintain this library while also finding new and exciting ways to bring smiles to its visitors.
To read more about the process of creating this library from the students' perspective, visit our About the Community Little Free Library page.
Connect with Us!
400 Mundis Race Road
York, PA 17406
Our Hopes and Dreams for Our Little Free Library
- “I would like everyone who goes to John Rudy Park will see our Little Free Library. I hope everyone will think the LFL is awesome and that reading is cool!”
- “My hopes and dreams for the LFL is that people will visit the LFL and learn to be better readers.”
- “I hope that 100 people visit our Little Free Library!”
- “I hope that everyone can have a good day with reading.”
- “I hope that we get more than 5 visitors a day!”
- “All of the books will be gone.”
- “No one will vandalize it!”
- “It will spread the love of reading.”
- “I hope people will use our library nicely.”
- “I would like to see everyone reading.”
- “My hope and dream is for more people to start reading.”
- “My hope for our Little Free Library is for the LFL to get used a lot. “
- “My hope is the Little Free Library gets a lot of visitors.”
- “I think people will use it right instead of not taking care of it.”
- “I hope people will use our Little Free Library and will learn from taking care of books.”
- “I think that our library will make York a better place because people will be happy because there will be books. “
- “My hopes and dreams for our community Little Free Library are that people will use it more than once.”
- “I hope our Little Free Library doesn’t get vandalized.”
- “I hope that people will learn from our Little Free Library. Also I hope that they will do good things to our LFL and that people will exchange books with us!”
- “My hope and dream is that our Little Free Library stays safe.”
- “I hope that people will take books and read them, not just take them and sell them.”
- “I hope we get to 400 on the counter! I think it will make York at better place because more people can read!”
- “My hope and dream for the LFL is that it gets used a lot from people.”
- “I hope the LFL gets over 2,000 people to visit!”
- “I hope that more people come to the LFL than we have books!!! (2,806)”
- “My hopes and dreams for our Little Free Library are that a lot of people come to our LFL like 1,000 or more.”
- “One of my hopes and dreams is that a celebrity visits our library!”
- “My hope and dream is that over 100 people visit our Little Free Library. Another hope and dream is that people get books.”
- “I hope that when the LFL opens that people will take books from it. I also hope that people that cannot make it to the LFL celebration will come another time. I hope that people will get very interesting books from the LFL. I would like to see a lot of people get books from the Little Free Library. I would also like to see people getting books, keeping it organized, and having fun reading the book. It will make York a better place because more books will get to families, children and adults.”
- “My hope and dream is that a famous author will use the Little Free Library.”
- “I hope more than 5,000 people use the Little Free Library!”